Forum Posts

arklight
Dec 08, 2019
In Building and Projects
A favourite vintage trainer, full of character, good looks and perfect for a standoff scale build at 1/6thscale (ish). I decided to build from an old plan originally published in 1971 and designed by Dennis Bryant. The good people at Sarik Hobbies UK were able to provide a wood pack which took the pain out of tracing and cutting rib’s and formers by hand. They also provided a fiberglass moulding for the front part of the cowling. Unfortunately, there were no building instructions or guidelines available and doing a web search didn’t help much, I only found a few notes from other builders but noting detailed. My first decision was to build for electric power. Since the model is from the 70’s electric power clearly wasn’t an option so some redesigning was required. Apart from that the build would follow the plans but I decided to add a detailed cockpit, more of that later. Starting with the fuselage the initial build is a very straight forward “build over plan”. I put the sides together and added the formers on one side only to give me an idea of the electric mods required. I wanted to make sure to keep the weight down by carefully placing the battery and servo’s strategically. The rudder and stabiliser were very simple, built up from a central sheet core with ribs on either side, which produced a very strong but heavy structure. I decided to lighten this with some holes drilled appropriately. More later after...
Miles Magister 1/6th plan build. content media
1
24
45
arklight
Apr 18, 2019
In Building and Projects
For some considerable time I’ve been longing to build a De Havilland DH89, ideally twin 40’s four stroke, 70”ish span or maybe electric but kits of this size are not available, the only option being plan packs from various plans that are available. Then I spotted the little Dumas kit, 42” electric by Pat Tritle, not exactly the size I wanted but not having the time nor the inclination to work from plans alone, so I bought the kit and here is the build! It arrived in a small well packed box, full of timber, wire and vac form mouldings. Three large plan sheets and a reasonable set of instructions complete the contents. I did a bit of research from other builds of the kit and was forewarned of some of the errors and also some suggestions and ideas. From the outset I decided to follow the instruction sequence as close as possible ticking off each item when completed. The first thing to notice is all measurements are imperial which is ok when talking inches but became a pain when working with 3/32nds etc, so I bought an imperial ruler!! I then measured up all the bits and labeled them for easier identification later. Taliplane and rudder framework. The build started with making the laminated bowed leading and trailing edges for the tailplane and rudder. The instructions suggest gluing the laminated ends together then forming the shape. I decided not to do this until the process was complete to allow the wood strips to easily slide over each other. First I used the elevator and rudder templates to cut some scrap foam from and ex kit (!) to make the core shape. I selected the softest timber (1/16” x 1/8”) and soaked in hot water for a couple of hours to make it highly pliable. The plans say a few minutes but this is not enough. Even then some crushing occurred due to the acute bends required, but ultimately it’s not an issue. I left the timber over the frame for a few days. When fully dried out I then glued them together with ordinary wood glue instead of CA making sure to tape the pieces back to the foam core. More to follow!
DeHavilland DH89 Dragon Rapide content media
1
21
48

arklight

Mais ações